Classic potato salad made easy
Potato salad, the classic in our German kitchen. Since I am a huge Kartoffelfan, I love also, of course, him. Not in vain, he passes from my point of view, every year on "Holy evening" to fame and glory. Together with the sausages, he counts on this day, the most popular food in Germany.
• Directly to the recipe • recipe •print
But not only on Christmas eve, you should give him attention. The classic potato salad fits so well to a hearty everyday meal or on the Grill-Buffet. Even as a gift for the next school event or Meeting with the neighbors. The recipe here is our family recipe. A very simple and classic version from southern Germany, because where I'm from. With broth of the classics prepared and without a lot of frills – just.
THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT VARIATIONS OF POTATO SALAD
Of potato salad, there are still infinite variations, not only with broth but also with Mayonnaise. With pickles, Radishes, or without. Bavarian, schwäbisch, Asian or Oriental. There are so many variants, because it can be a pretty dizzy. Every family certainly has their own recipe and preparing it is always a little different. I love the classic without Mayonnaise. Because potato salad should taste like, in my opinion, to potatoes. But tastes are different and that is 😉 a good thing . For vegetarians, you can replace the 100ml broth of meat alternatively with vegetable broth. So my classic potato salad is for all interesting again.
WHICH POTATO VARIETY IS BEST FOR THE CLASSICS?
But the potato salad recipes have in common is the primarily fixed boiling or waxy potatoes. Varieties with beautiful names such as Laura, Linda, Selma, Sieglinde or Nicola. No matter what variety You take, you should definitely tasty, because it forms the Basis for Your salad.
Potato-side-dishes-to find Fans in addition to my classic potato salad, here are other easy recipes of mine such as my very popular potato gratin with herb cream cheese and Emmental cheese or my homemade mashed potatoes with milk and Butter.
Classic potato salad made easy
- 500 g potatoes - predominantly waxy, or waxy
- 100 ml meat stock - stock cube or homemade (alternatively vegetable stock)
- 2 onions - medium size (can also use red onions)
- 3 TBSP Oil - vegetable, taste-neutral, such as canola oil
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP mustard - medium hot
- 1/2 Federal - leaf parsley - fresh chopped
- 1 Pinch Of Sugar
- 1 Diameter Top Nutmeg
- Pepper - from the mill
- The potatoes with peel in a saucepan with salted water over medium heat to cook. Depending on the size of the approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, You can dice the onions finely and place in a saucepan with 1 TBSP Oil until they are translucent. Meanwhile, make the broth ready.
- Broth to the onions in the pot, pour together and heat.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and mustard flavour.
- Drain the potatoes, briefly evaporate and leave to cool. Peel and grate directly into a bowl in slices and serve with the warm broth/Vinaigrette and pour over.
- The salad should, ideally, 30 minutes.
- To conclude, once again, to taste and the remaining 2 TABLESPOONS of Oil and mix well. Garnish with parsley.